Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Colour Garden

I have this thing about scraps.  I can't toss 'em.  Until they are less than 1½" square, they are stashed by colour into a fabulous 6-drawer plastic organizer I found at Canadian Tire.


The problem with this system is the drawers get full.  A couple years ago I started sewing those scraps together by colour and cutting them in to 6½ squares because that's the ruler I had available at the time.

I also used blocks that I had made out of curiosity and practice.


This quilt was a UFO for a long time until I decided how to sew them together.  Then the call came in June - what can you do for us by September?  This was one of three.  I wish I took a better picture of the finished product.


The quilt was unveiled in a hospital room in Edmonton.  Everyone was pleased. *whew*


I should start a new scrap quilt.  I feel that this one was a success!

Lessons Learned:  I need to make note of the thickness of this fill.  It was too thick - although it made for a cozy quilt, it was difficult to put through the sewing machine.



12 comments:

  1. It is very nice, I like it a lot. I bet a lot of those scraps came from ME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! In fact, there is a pretty kitty in one of the blocks I am sure was yours!

      Delete
  2. I love those!! Some of the best looking quilts are made of scraps and though difficult to work with I love the thick batting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found I had more puckers on the back with the thicker batting. I suppose it's a matter of practice!

      Delete
  3. Can I just say WOW that is one beautiful quilt and a great way to stash bust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love the scrappy look! Fun that you used "test" blocks, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty excited when I realized I had the perfect place for them!

      Delete
  5. Looks great Lisa! Sorry I haven't been around. I forgot to favorite your blog and totally forgot about until tonight.

    No worries - you are safely lined up now on my favorites bar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! you are indeed a very talented woman...very artistic...very creative...keep it up!

    ReplyDelete